You haven’t even filed your 2017 taxes yet, but the IRS has already announced changes that will affect your 2018 taxes, which you’ll be filing in 2019. The changes were announced in Revenue Procedure 2017-58, which runs 28 pages, but below are some key points.
- For leave requests under the FFCRA, can we require proof that the school or place of care is closed?
- Can I deny FFCRA leave to an employee who has high schoolers attending class remotely who are able to take care of themselves during the day?
- Payroll Tax Deferral Executive Order
- A manager of ours, who is exempt, is taking a half day to attend a social event even though they’ve exhausted all of their paid time off. Can we reduce their salary for that day?
- Business has slowed and we’re cutting back the hours of some employees. Do I need to reclassify them as part-time if they’re working fewer than 40 hours per week?