Answer from Megan, SPHR, JD:
When you find an error on an I-9, the USCIS recommends that you do the following:

  • Draw a line through the incorrect information.
  • Enter the correct information. Initial and date the correction.
  • Once you’ve completed the above steps, include a note with the I-9 explaining why the change was made.

Megan graduated from the University of Maryland, magna cum laude, and from Lewis and Clark Law School, cum laude. She has extensive work experience in a variety of industries, which she draws on to help clients with their HR questions.